Thursday, September 6, 2007
To save for memory as well as to inform anyone interested, here are some layer samples to show how I constructed the room. This process of creating the room took 95% of the time on this project. 5% was spent on the figures, which is completely the opposite from how I usually work.
The Rockwell on the wall was an actual copy I did while at school in oils/acrylics. Compared to the original you can see how weak a copy it was but due to its size it served its function.
The floor, any woodwork, and the frame where create by looking at my floor. Then I drew the grain in graphite separately and scanned it. Made a grid for the floorboards in Photoshop. Then filled each board with a different pattern from the ones I just drew. Behind this I added the watercolor image for texture and value. I then went in and shifted the value slightly for each board and flattened all the layers.
Combining the stamped texture with the watercolor background created the stucco walls.
There are variations of trial and error here taking advantage of the entire layer settings in Photoshop but that is the general idea.
So in truth for the most part it was done but human hands and compiled and color by computer. I find it odd then how the final image looks so CGI. Regardless I now have a hard wood surface should I ever need it again. I have been creating and compiling a library of textures and backgrounds to save time in the creation of my book. I think these will definitely be used again.