Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What might have been.


Again, with the CityBeat cover its just a matter of time that is the real issue. I love working for them. The art director rocks and I actually like the rapid deadlines; I just think some of the concepts and execution could be much more developed with more time. As a result I usually have a lot of covers that are very average and this is no exception.

With that said the deadlines are part of the challenge of working for a weekly paper and I work better under the gun.
On the positive side it doesn't leave any time to bawidamann (overwork then ruin) a piece.
For those of you who are curious about what an assignment I get looks like, here is how this cover played out.
I was given this assignment Thursday. This was the basic concept I got in an email:

Wanna do next week's cover? cool. glad you do.
cover: need by tuesday morning in full (11am). rough some time monday. idea is a turn of the century (not the most recent century) industrial revolution style sweatshop look. it's XXXXX and they're not following orders to improve there factory conditions so people are loosing limbs and dying on unsafe equipment. thanks.

I did the research and thumbnailed it Thurs. night. Sent in thumbnail Friday in the am. I had to wait till end of day Monday for approval from the editorial staff. While waiting I shot reference as if it was approved.

The child got cut and so did the severe injuries.

Worked Monday 10 pm till deadline Tuesday at 11 am on final ( 1:30hr sleep /30 mins for food). Only had 30 mins for coloring and it shows.

No comments: